EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE Meeting Minutes Thursday ....

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Meeting Minutes

Thursday, June 28 2018 - 9:30 a.m.

Government Consulting Services, Incorporated (“GCSI”)

120 N. Washington, 2nd Floor Conference Room, Lansing, MI 48933

 

Voting Member of the        Attendance  
Executive Committee Yes No  
President Hart X    
President Elect Thompson X    
Vice-President Poole X    
Chapter Treasurer Rader X    
Chapter Delegate Hummel X    
Branch Delegate - Central   X  
Branch Delegate - Detroit Metro X   Scott Gordon
Branch Delegate - Downriver   X  
Branch Delegate - Mideast   X  
Branch Delegate - Midwest X   Matt Anderson
Branch Delegate - Northern X   Peter Staley
Branch Delegate - Southwest X   Kevin Glupker
Branch Delegate – U.P.   X  
1st Past President Hurt X    
2nd Past President Skylis   X  
       
Quorum (8 Needed)      

Also in attendance:  Taylor Hiner-GCSI, Tara Paksi-GCSI, Tracy Spencer-Administrator, Jessica Katers-Awards Chair, Jen Lawson-Marketing and Outreach

 

 

 

  1. Call to Order by President Hart at 9:45 am and asked for self- introductions.

 

  1. It was moved by Hummel and seconded by Thompson to approve the May 22, 2018 minutes.  All were in favor.

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report-Rader reported that almost all expenses have been submitted and recorded except for the final bill from Grand Traverse Resort.  Rader still needs the addresses to mail the Branch Rebates.  She reminds all branches that year end reporting needs to be submitted to her by the second week of July.  Rader spoke about the Road Scholars programs and who it targets.

 

  1. President Elect Thompson talked about Michigan Night in Kansas City.  He is waiting for the Illinois Chapter to see if any of their members will be attending.  We are currently at 20 registered.

 

  1. Administrator Spencer asked if she should register for the Full Conference at PWX.  It was decided that there is benefits to the full conference registration, so Spencer will do the full conference.  Spencer spoke about the final bill for Grand Traverse Resort.  There were some higher expenses, but it was expected.

 

  1. Council of Chapters Hummel reported that Brian VanNorman has left APWA and Ashley Wilson will be the Associate Director of Membership.  He also reports that Justina Cox has become the Senior Web Services Manager, and Mary Knollmeyer has taken over as the Director of Finance.  He reviewed the Region V Newsletter.

 

  1. Strategic Planning Hurt asked everyone to keep this in the front of our minds and suggested we have another Strategic Planning meeting in September again.  Maybe this time we use an internal person instead of having a National APWA person come out.

 

  1. Branch Reports

 

  1. Central -no report.
  2. Detroit Metro – Poole explained the SPOT training a little more.  Half of the program is inside, half of the program is outside for two hours, after lunch the groups switch.  The final hour is for wrap up and concerns.  Poole reported that the golf outing on June 29th has 92 golfers signed up.  He thanked Nancy for all her hard work.
  3. Downriver – Wilson reported that their golf outing was full and enjoyed by all.  August 10th is the annual boat outing, and if you are interested in attending please contact Bill Fisher.
  4. Mideast - no report.
  5. Midwest -Wolford reported the June 19th Lunch and Learn program was good.  July 18th will be their annual golf outing, and the Snowplow Roadeo will be October 10th.
  6. Northern -Staley reports that their equipment show will be on September 6th.  Currently, there are 26 vendor sponsors signed up and the information will be on the website.
  7. Southwest -Glupker reported that the June 13th MML update was good, August 2nd will be the golf outing at the Medalist, and October 10th will be the next general membership meeting.
  8. Upper Peninsula – Hurt reports that they are struggling to get all the necessary signatures, so they are looking at the membership to see who to target. 

Hart asks that all branches add him to their email lists.

  1. Reports
    1. APWA Michigan Chapter Annual Great Lakes EXPO – it was reported that all CEC’s and CEH’s have been signed and sent to the participants.  We heard a lot of good comments about the sessions, the vendors would prefer to have a later start time.  Our conference is one of the least expensive that offers CEC/CEH’s.  The Awards ceremony was good, and Jessica Katers would like to continue with the Awards program but would like to step down from the Conference Chair position.  There are several people who maybe interested in taking over the Conference Chair position. 
    2. Communications/Social Media- The second issue of the Great Lakes Reporter should be sent out in Mid-July.  Taylor asked the branches to send her any information they would like to see in the GLR.  They are currently working on the New Member Packets.  Taylor reports that Social Media is taking off.  
    3. Marketing and Outreach Lawson reports the RFP has been sent out for review and she is working on getting video clips ready for the website.
    4. Membership -Thompson is looking for a replacement, possibly Carl Fedders, to take over as Chair.  The group is working on the New Member packet, just needs a little more verbiage.  They are working on presentations that all branches can pull from.
    5. Michigan Night at PWX – Thompson reports that there are currently 20 ppl registered and he will lock it at 30 ppl.  It was suggested that we possibly look for drink sponsors.
    6. Site Selection Committee – They are working on an RFP that will be sent out at the end of July/beginning of August for a possible Plan B for 2020.  The important things to remember are:  northern Michigan location, same week, expo floor and food costs.
    7. Volunteer Coordination – no report.

 

  1. Special Assignment Committee Reports
    1. Branch Boundary Changes-drop this heading for the next meeting.
    2. Public Works Academy-Graduation was on May 31st with 10 people graduating.  Hurt thanked Taylor for the social media output.  There has been discussion on possibly moving to the East Side of Michigan to replicate.  Possible locations would be Macomb Community College or Oakland Community College, Chuck Hart will establish contact.

 

  1. Standing Committee Reports
    1. Continuing Education/Training – no report.
    2. Diversity – no report.
    3. Legislative and Government Affairs – There was discussion on having another Legislative Reception this fall (too small of a window), or Spring 2019.  It was decided to shot for February/March 2019.  Spencer reviewed the notes submitted by Gary Mekjian.  MML is supporting:  HB 5335, HB 5406, HB 5408, SB 995, HB 6087 and HB 6088.  Supporting with the addition of DPW code enforcement:  SB 917, SB 918, SB 919, SB 920, SB 921 and SB 922.  Opposed:  HB 5706, HB 5723 and HB 5870.  Neutral on:  HB 5945, HB 6013, HB 6014, and HB 6015.
    4. Sponsor Relations – no report.
    5. MSPI – no report.
    6. Youngs Professionals – At the first YP event there was (1) municipal representative while the rest were vendors or consultants.  Chuck was happy with the event but suggested we need to encourage our younger members to participate.  Matt Anderson will start working on west side event.
    7. Water Resources – no report.
    8. Past President Council – Hurt reached out to about 15-20 Past Presidents and had great responses with only one decline.  He is working on the purpose of the council with possibly having quarterly meetings.
    9. PACE Award – Hart has a goal to submit for this award in 2019.  It will take approximately 100 hours with (2) of Chuck’s co-workers committed to helping.  He is looking for volunteers to finish each area.

 

  1. New Business – none.

 

  1. Adjournment:  11: 47 am
6.28.18 APWA Michigan Chapter Meeting Minutes.docx 6.28.18 APWA Michigan Chapter Meeting Minutes.docx
Facebook 

You have been logged out...

You have been logged out of the system due to inactivity. Please login again.

Loading...