September 27, 2018 Meeting Minutes

Thursday, September 27, 2018 - 9:30 a.m.

Government Consulting Services, Incorporated (“GCSI”)

120 N. Washington, 2nd Floor Conference Room, Lansing, MI 48933

 

Voting Member of the        Attendance  
Executive Committee Yes No  
President Hart X    
President Elect Thompson X    
Vice-President Poole X    
Chapter Treasurer Rader   X  
Chapter Delegate Hummel   X  
Branch Delegate - Central X   TODD SNEATHEN
Branch Delegate - Detroit Metro X   JERRY TREMBLAY
Branch Delegate - Downriver X   TOM WILSON
Branch Delegate - Mideast   X  
Branch Delegate - Midwest X   JIM WOLFORD
Branch Delegate - Northern X   PETER STALEY
Branch Delegate - Southwest X   KEVIN GLUPKER
Branch Delegate – U.P.   X  
1st Past President Hurt   X  
2nd Past President Skylis X    
       
Quorum (8 Needed) 10 5  

 

Also in attendance:  Tara Paksi-GCSI, Taylor Hiner – GLR, Tracy Spencer – Administrator, Don Rohraff – Conference Co-Chair, Gary Mekjian – Conference Co-Chair, Jen Lawson – Membership/Outreach/Marketing Chair, Nancy Kolinski – Volunteer Coordination Chair.

 

  1. Call to Order by President Hart at 9:41 am and asked for self-introduction of Members/Guests

 

 

  1. Approve July 26, 2018 Minutes – It was moved by Skylis and seconded by Hart to approve the July 26, 2018 meeting minutes as sent.  All were in favor.

 

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report – Reviewed submitted Treasurer’s report.  It was moved by Thompson and seconded by Wolford to approve the Treasurer’s Report as submitted.  All were in favor.  It was moved by Skylis and seconded by Wilson to authorize President Charles Hart to signed both the Road Scholar Program contract and the Comfort Inn contract.  All were in favor.

 

 

  1. President Elect Report – no report.

 

 

  1. Administrator Spencer discussed the proposed 2019 Executive Board meeting schedule.  It will be sent out to attendees for review.  Spencer will update the chapter website with the Fleet and Operations Fall Seminar schedule and registration.

 

  1. Council of Chapters Report Skylis reported there were meeting on Friday and Saturday before PWX.  They were asked to participate in one of the various National Committees.  Doug sat at the PACE Award table and the group provided feedback on the various requirements to submit. 

 

  1. Strategic Planning Update- Hart reported he will discuss the October meeting with Hurt.

 

 

  1. Branch Reports
    1. Central – Sneathen reported that the branch has been approved by National and they will be having their first meeting in October.

 

 

  1. Detroit Metro- Tremblay reports the September meeting was on Retirement Planning.  The October meeting will be at the City of Fenton Firehouse. 

 

 

  1. Downriver – Wilson reported the branch will have a meeting on October 4th, November 8th, and the Christmas luncheon will be on December 6th at the Lakes of Taylor.

 

 

  1. Mideast-no report

 

 

  1. Midwest-Wolford reported the Roadeo will be on October 10th at the City of Norton Shores.  There is expected to approximately 400 attendees/vendors.  The Christmas gathering will be December 12th from     5 pm -9 pm in the Centennial Room at Founders.  They are doing quarterly Lunch and Learn sessions, with approximately 50 people attending.

 

 

  1. Northern- Staley reported the Equipment Show had good vendor participation.  There was approximately 45 attendees, which was a little lower than expected.

 

 

  1. Southwest- Glupker reported the next meeting would be October 17th at Quality Precast (just north of Kalamazoo.)  December 6th will be the Christmas Luncheon and Awards program.

 

 

  1. Upper Peninsula – no report

 

 

 

  1. Reports (10-15 minutes)
    1. APWA Michigan Chapter Annual Great Lakes EXPO Conference – Mekjian and Rohraff reported they are putting together a meeting shortly.  There was discussion on the golf outing and possibly playing the Par 3 course with sponsorship opportunities at every hole.  Don Rohraff will contact Treetops about the different options/courses/sponsorship holes/etc.   

 

 

  1. Communications/Social Media – Hiner provided a copy of the Proposed 2019 Sponsorship Contract.  She asked for everyone to review and provide suggestions.  She was contacted by Lew and Mary Bender about featuring a series of topics they would write for the Great Lakes Reporter.

 

 

 

  1. Marketing, Outreach, and Membership- Lawson reports they are looking for the low hanging fruit that will increase membership.  They would like to see a presence at different events, both APWA and other associations.  We need to get a group of people to rotate at the events.  It was reported that the new membership packet is almost ready, while the executive packet is complete.

 

 

  1. Michigan Night Recap at PWX – Thompson reported there were 33 attendees at the Royals vs Tiger game.  It went fairly well and suggested that Duane Poole start looking for locations in Seattle.

 

 

  1. Volunteer Coordination – Kolinski does not have much to report, but is looking at future events.  It was discussed that we need to start getting the volunteers for the 2021 Snow Conference organized.

 

 

 

  1. Special Assignment Committee Reports ( 5 minutes)
    1. Public Works Academy – John Gorney and James Hurt travelled to the National Council for Workforce Education Conference to talk about this academy.  There will be a meeting on October 8th to discuss the next steps:  Winter 2019 Academy, and possibly offering CDL training. 

 

 

  1. Road Scholar – there was discussion of the program and what is involved.  It was moved by Thompson and seconded by Wolford to approve the contract with Ludwig Speaks with the changes made by National APWA and defer financial funding until further discussions.  All were in favor.

 

 

 

  1. Standing Committee Reports (2 minutes)
    1. Continuing Education/Training- Mehalski reported via email that a committee has been formed with members from across Michigan.  He would still like to get a rep from Central and Northern branches.  The Fleet and Operations Seminar at the Novi Showplace will be on October 31st and will feature the new SPOT Training.  Mehalski is working with SEMCOG to offer winter maintenance programs at this event in future years.

 

 

  1. Diversity – no report

 

 

  1. Legislative and Government Affairs – Mekjian reported that MML Transportation committee has not met recently.  He suggested that members read the Democratic Party proposal for infrastructure.  Lead and copper rules have revolving funds now and need to get amendments & the DEQ is making changes.  The discussion on plastic pipes is quiet right now.

 

 

  1. Sponsor Relations – Spencer reported that Flanagan Sales is no longer representing Gallager Asphalt, which will now be direct sale. 

 

 

  1. MPSI – Chuck Hart attended for the first time and gave a passionate speech about the importance of APWA.  The focus this year was on Supervising for Excellence.  The committee is beginning to plan for 2019.  There is some discussion about raising the fees to cover rising costs.  More details to come.

 

 

 

 

  1. Young Professionals – There will be a joint APWA, AWWA, MWEA in Grand Rapids on December 5th. 

 

 

 

  1. Water Resources – no report

 

 

 

  1. Past Presidents Council – There will be a meeting on November 1st in Lansing at 10:00 am.  Taylor will check to see if the room is available.

 

 

  1. PACE Award – Hart has two co-workers that can work on this submittal, but he wants to make sure that other items the Chapter is working on do not get forgotten.  He would like to organize a “Best Practices” policy.

 

 

  1. New Business
    1. National Council for Workforce Education Conference – James Hurt and John Gorney travelled for this conference and Grand Rapids Community College has paid for the room/board and conference fees.  The Midwest branch is covering travel and food expenses and asked if the chapter would consider covering some of the costs.  It was moved by Hart and seconded by Thompson to split the cost of travel and food expenses for James Hurt and John Gorney, but not to exceed $1,000.  All were in favor.

 

 

  1. Adjournment:  11:45 am
APWA Michigan Chapter Exec Board Mtg minutes 9.27.18.docx APWA Michigan Chapter Exec Board Mtg minutes 9.27.18.docx
Facebook 

You have been logged out...

You have been logged out of the system due to inactivity. Please login again.

Loading...