May 2020 APWA Michigan Chapter Executive Board Meeting Minutes
Thursday, May 19, 2020 - 9:30 a.m.
|Voting Member of the||Attendance|
|President Elect Poole||X|
|Chapter Treasurer Rader||X|
|Chapter Delegate Hummel||X|
|Branch Delegate - Central||X|
|Branch Delegate - Detroit Metro||X||Brandy Siedlaczek|
|Branch Delegate - Downriver||X||Chris Owen|
|Branch Delegate - Mideast||X||Bill Bohlen|
|Branch Delegate - Midwest||X||Matt Anderson|
|Branch Delegate - Northern||X|
|Branch Delegate - Southwest||X||Kevin Glupker|
|1st Past President Hart||X|
|2nd Past President Hurt||X|
|Quorum (8 Needed)||9||5|
Also, in Attendance: Tracy Spencer – Administrator, Tara Paksi – GCSI, Taylor Porrett – GCSI,
Mark Bonkowski – Sponsor Relations, Jessica Katers – Education, Jennifer Lawson – Marketing/Outreach/Membership, Mike Logan – Downriver, Noah Mehalski – Education, Gary Mekjian – Gov’t Affairs, Ashley Schmuck – Sponsor Relations,
Doug Skylis – Delegate Alternate, Don Rohraff.
- Call to Order by President Thompson-Introduction of Members/Guests at 9:35 a.m.
- Approve April 16, Minutes – It was moved by Skylis and seconded by Hummel to approve the April 16th, 2020 meeting minutes with the following change: Karen Mondora was in attendance and the agency who won the Project of the Year award would receive all the awards, not the consultant. All were in favor.
- Treasurer’s Report – It was reported that the finances and the budget have not had many impacts due to Covid-19. MPSI is currently still scheduled but the board is making decisions right now. Quick Books will be filtering down from National APWA to the state and branches.
- President Elect Report – No report.
- Administrator’s Report – Spencer discussed the need to upgrade the chapter computer to Windows 10. It was suggested that I look into new computer options.
- Council of Chapters Report – We were reminded to contact Larry/Sean regarding any concerns we have. National reports they may need to furlough staff. Online education is being pushed –share and inform.
- Branch Reports
- Central – no report.
- Detroit Metro – Brandy reported the golf outing notice has been sent out and they are waiting until the first week of June to decide if they will continue with the event. They are working with the golf course on how carts will be utilized.
- Downriver – Chris reported the May meeting was done virtually, Bruce Edwards’ Equipment show was postponed to the week of July 20th; Boat cruise will be on August 14th; golf outing will be September 23rd, and the October 8th meeting will be the Administrative Assistant Day.
- Mideast – There was a virtual meeting earlier this month regarding Public Works Academy and they will not be having any summer meetings.
- Midwest – Bart and James need to meet for the Snow Conference. They are still planning on the July golf outing; and the Snow Plow Roadeo will be held in October as planned, but possibly smaller.
- Northern – No report.
- Southwest – June 17th will be an MML virtual meeting with John LaMaccia and August 6th will be the golf outing.
- Project of the Year Award Winners – Karen reported she ordered the awards and they will be sent to the agency to distribute. There was discussion on recording a message to send out acknowledging the winners.
- PWX Cancellation Report – National has cancelled the 2020 PWX conference in New Orleans. National estimates $1.5 – $2 million loss between PWX and the Snow Conference. There will be no travel for 2020 by National staff members and they are anticipating a 3% rise in membership dues.
- There was discussion on how COVID may impact our 2021 GLX and the attrition clause. Tara/Taylor will talk with Grand Traverse Resort.
- Sponsorship 2020 Refunds – The Committee is recommending either refunding the GLX portion or keep the funds and they will be applied to the 2021 Sponsorship. The recommended refund is $2,100 for Platinum, $900 for Gold and $200 for Silver.
- AWWA/ASCE – 2020 conference presentations will be 98% no face to face, virtual format. They will have pre-recorded presentations with specific time with the presenter to answer questions.
- SPOT Seminars – It was reported that the Novi Showplace is currently being utilized as a hospital until July. We have made a $1,700 deposit and back-up plans are in process. SPOT training is required and Noah thinks it will go on as planned.
- Communications/Social Media – There is a Social Media Campaign focusing on Public Works Week. They are sending out emails and making Facebook posts.
- Membership, Marketing and Outreach – It was reported that they are revising the mission statement and will be finalizing soon. The committee is working on multiple events to keep APWA front and center:
- August 20th is the executive board meeting so possibly a statewide golf outing on August 21st at Treetops.
- October – scholarship/beer walk which would be a 3-mile loop where you can do beer tasting/jello shots ending with a bonfire/bbq.
- Movie night – either at a farm or a drive thru.
- Online Euchre tournament.
- October 10th tailgate at MSU vs. U of MI. It was moved by Skylis and seconded by Hart for the Michigan Chapter to support this event with a $6,000 contribution, to book the event and send out registration information, and if more money is needed to ask. All were in favor.
- Road Scholar – The agenda is finalized; speakers are being contacted and still moving forward as planned. They will keep us up to date.
- Volunteer Coordination - no report.
- Special Assignment Committee Reports
- Public Works Academy - currently on hold.
- Standing Committee Reports
- Continuing Education/Training – Expo was scrapped and everyone notified. There was discussion on needing to format something for CEC’s and CEH’s. When and how they are offered must be approved by Eagle.
- Legislative and Government Affairs – nothing new right now. MML and State are conducting conference calls.
- Sponsor Relations – previously discussed.
- MPSI Update – It was reported that there is not a virtual option, and if July looks ok, they will go ahead with MPSI, or they may have to suspend for 1 year.
- Young Professionals – in limbo, talking with AWWA to try and get something together, possibly adding to the Tailgate event.
- Water Resources - no report
- Past Presidents Council – no report
- Snow Conference – There was discussion on having a Zoom meeting in May. This could be dead or the biggest event.
- New Business: none.
- Adjournment: 11:37 a.m.