July 2020 APWA Michigan Chapter Executive Board Meeting Minutes
Thursday, July 23, 2020 - 9:30 a.m.
|Voting Member of the||Attendance|
|President Elect Poole||X|
|Chapter Treasurer Rader||X|
|Chapter Delegate Hummel||X|
|Branch Delegate - Central||X|
|Branch Delegate - Detroit Metro||X||Brandy Siedlaczek|
|Branch Delegate - Downriver||X||Chris Owen|
|Branch Delegate - Mideast||X||Bill Bohlen|
|Branch Delegate - Midwest||X||Matt Anderson|
|Branch Delegate - Northern||X||Ken Payne|
|Branch Delegate - Southwest||X||Mark Worden|
|1st Past President Hart||X|
|2nd Past President Hurt||X|
|Quorum (8 Needed)||12||2|
Also, in attendance: Jessica Katers - Education, Tracy Spencer – Administrator, Jennifer Lawson – Membership/Outreach, Mike Logan – Downriver, Taylor Porrett – GCSI, Peter Staley – Northern, Mark Bonkowski – Sponsor Relations,
Tara Paksi – GCSI, Doug Skylis – Chapter Delegate Alt.
- Call to Order by President Thompson 9:35 a.m.
- It was moved by Skylis and seconded by Worden to approve Meeting Minutes of May 19, 2020. All were in favor.
- It was moved by Skylis and seconded by Worden to approve Meeting Minutes of June 25, 2020. All were in favor.
- Treasurer’s Report by Thompson
- Recently the chapter and all branches switched over to QuickBooks to allow National APWA immediate access to all accounts.
- Currently, we are unsure what financial impact cancelling the Spring 2020 MPSI session will have.
- President Elect Report – no report
- Administrator’s Report – no report
- Council of Chapters Report – no real movement/discussions.
- Branch Reports
- Central – not much going on.
- Detroit Metro – branch has not met since the golf outing. Next meeting is tentatively scheduled for September, but it is looking like that maybe cancelled.
- Downriver – Trade Show was 7/22/20 and was well attended by vendors and some attendees. There were approximately 150 vendors and attendees. The vendors were excited to be back and networking. The annual boat outing format will be changed to an outdoor venue, possibly Heritage Park. They are still planning on having September and October meetings.
- Mideast – Not a lot of activity right now. October 14th is the next scheduled meeting.
- Northern – There have been a couple of virtual meetings and they have decided to cancel the equipment show for this year.
- Southwest – August 6th they will have their golf outing at the Medalist. They are trying to keep best practices and will have waivers at check in. The end of day buffet will be held outdoors. The MML update on October 7th will possibly be held in an outdoor pavilion.
- Midwest – They had 18 teams for their golf outing, all waivers were signed and masks were worn indoors. John Gorney was presented the Harold Hultquist award at the dinner. There is a July 27th meeting for the Snow Conference and July 29th meeting for the Roadeo to decide if they will have the Roadeo.
- COVID 19 Insurance – John Thompson spoke with Sean O’Dell regarding COVID 19 and what National APWA is discussing regarding insurance. It was communicated that insurance companies are NOT covering Pandemic coverage at any event, but National APWA created a waiver that must be signed by all attendees/volunteers/board members for that event.
- AWWA/ASCE – It was decided to have a completely virtual 2020 conference with all presentations being pre-recorded and having a set time Zoom or other live streaming for Q&A’s for each session. They will also stream the presentations at a later date for licensing purposes for attendees. Our APWA portion kind of fell apart; most felt they would keep their presentations for a live presentation at a later date. Jen Lawson will still be doing her presentation but needs to record and upload within the next week.
- SPOT Seminar – Noah is planning an Open House/Training event in conjunction with Truck and Trailer Specialties in Mid-September (if allowed by Governor) Go. No Go will be made September 1st. Winter Prep / SPOT Training Still holding reservation at Suburban Collection Showplace, all staff are laid off or working reduced hours. I have reached out to them to determine likelihood of holding event and corresponding details. Event date is 10/5/20. He will have secondary training option available through a webinar format if the in-person training is not allowed to occur. MRSP – the agenda is set, waiting to see if the event will be cancelled, postponed or???
- Communications/Social Media – Social Media is going strong – if you have any events or posts please send to Taylor. The 2nd issue of GLR is getting put together for August and they may have to push some articles to the 3rd issue.
- Membership, Marketing and Outreach – Membership is meeting every 2 weeks. The tailgate event is still in the planning state, but maybe moved to a park in the area and having TV’s provided to watch the game. There has been discussion for a Chapter golf outing. Don Rohraff is helping to plan this event and is looking at the 3rd week of August at the Groesbeck Golf Course in Lansing. Earth & Ale in Traverse City is creating a craft beer to thank all Public Works employees. There will be a Public Works label on the cans and they will have it on tap in October. Notices to delinquent members will be emailed out in the next few weeks. They are having a Photo Contest starting in August with a $50 prize per month. The pictures should be tied back to Public Works – not just a pretty waterfall.
- Road Scholar - no report.
- Volunteer Coordination - not much to report.
- Special Assignment Committee Reports
- Public Works Academy – GRCC is ready to get back into it; they received a grant to do CDL training and do not want to lose it. The biggest problem is getting Secretary of State appointments. Mideast – Delta College is looking at CARE funding to try and keep the costs down. The State of Michigan overall is not keeping up with licensing.
- Standing Committee Reports
- Legislative and Government Affairs - Not much going on.
- Sponsor Relations - Mark Bonkowski questioned the sponsor refunds and just reminded everyone to keep this in mind for the revenue stream for 2021.
- MPSI Update – The spring session got deferred to 2021 and currently the Fall session is in limbo with a final decision not made yet. There will be some costs incurred either way for Lew and Mary’s time.
- Young Professionals – Not much happening pretty stagnate right now. AWWA wants to wait and doing things in person and Matt Anderson agrees.
- Water Resources - no report.
- Past Presidents Council – nothing new.
- Snow Conference – They are trying to restart the committee and need to split into committee groups. Brenda from National has indicated there are changes in the Budget. There is discussion on a Brewery/Distillery Tour – Shot & Beer Tour. They need to start fundraising, plotting out how many volunteers will be needed, looking at presentations and the conference layout. They are looking to put out information on August 7th for the 2021 Snow Conference. It was discussed that the last Snow Conference we hosted raised $45,000 so we could do some cool stuff; we need to talk and plan. We also need to keep in mind that any contracts we sign we are on the hook for so be conscious of the Pandemic and build in wording in case of cancellation.
- New Business: If you are planning a Holiday event please start thinking about how you can plan it and keep it going.
- Adjournment: 10:43 a.m.