December 2020 APWA Michigan Chapter Executive Board Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, December 2, 2020 - 9:30 a.m.
|Voting Member of the||Attendance|
|President Elect Poole||X|
|Chapter Treasurer Rader||X|
|Chapter Delegate Hummel||X|
|Branch Delegate - Central||X||TODD SNEATHEN|
|Branch Delegate - Detroit Metro||X||BRANDY S|
|Branch Delegate - Downriver||X||CHRIS OWEN|
|Branch Delegate - Mideast||X|
|Branch Delegate - Midwest||X||MATT ANDERSON|
|Branch Delegate - Northern||X||ANDY KELLER|
|Branch Delegate - Southwest||X||MARK WORDEN|
|1st Past President Hart||X|
|2nd Past President Hurt||X|
|Quorum (8 Needed)||11|
Also in attendance: Jessica Katers, Karen Mondora – Awards, Tara Paksi – GCSI, Dan Brisson, Don Rohraff,
Doug Skylis – Chapter Delegate Alternate, Taylor Porret – GCSI, Nancy Kolinski – Volunteer Coordinator, Mike Logan, Mark Bonkowski – Sponsor Relations.
- Call to Order by President Thompson- 9:30 a.m.
- It was moved by Belair and seconded by Anderson to approve Meeting Minutes of October 29, 2020. All were in favor.
- Treasurer’s Report – It was reported there were approximately $10,000 in expenses to cancel/postpone MPSI spring and fall 2020 sessions.
- President Elect Report – It was reported that other chapters in Region V seem to host more Zoom and virtual meetings.
- Administrator’s Report – It was reported that our chapter is one of the first to convert over to the new template and should be live in early January. A 2021 Proposed Executive Board meeting schedule was presented, noting that the meetings will be Zoom unless restrictions are lifted. A Doodle Poll was created to see if Thursdays are still the best day to meet.
- Council of Chapters Report – It was reported:
- All Chapters are noticing a slow decline in membership.
- Chapter Leadership training will be Jan. 26th, Jan. 28th, Feb. 2nd and Feb 4th. He encourages upcoming leadership to participate.
- A reminder that Chapter Leadership Resource page is full of good information.
- PWX will be in St. Louis and they are preparing a tentative outline.
- Branch Reports
- Central – They were just getting the board finalized then COVID hit. They will be sending out a list of resources for their branch members. It was asked that other branches share meeting links to try and jump start this branch.
- Detroit Metro – They have an upcoming meeting for board elections. January 14th is a joint meeting with Downriver Branch with a speaker from Great Lakes Water Authority.
- Downriver - November 5th they had a zoom meeting on Fleet Navigations Systems with approximately 38 people watching. They cancelled the Christmas luncheon, but will still be doing the Toys for Tots program with collection sites at Wade Trim in Taylor, and the City of Livonia.
- Mideast – Not much going on right now, in a holding pattern.
- Midwest – They cancelled the Christmas get together due to restrictions, but are considering hosting a food collection. They are still working on expanding the Public Works Academy to more colleges.
- Northern – Not a lot to report.
- Southwest – They had 14 award submittals and the committee will make their decision by Mid-December. The Awards banquet was cancelled – so they will be meeting at the project to take pictures. They will be starting a scholarship program awarding to 2 to 3 people between $500 to $1,000.
- Michigan Chapter and Branch Executive Retreat – The idea is excellent, but this needs to be pushed back due to COVID; maybe in July. It was suggested to end the retreat with the Midwest Golf Outing.
- GLX –
- We need to look at a hybrid virtual and in person conference.
- We need to plan out the conference and then cancel if needed.
- We need to look over the contract – it is a little early to do a go/no go date.
- Committee members have been contacted and going forward planning in person conference.
- Matt will reach out to the speakers lined up for 2020 to see if they are interested in presenting at the 2021 conference.
- Don, Jen and Brandy are working on planning their social events.
- Snow Conference – 2025 or 2026
- Hurt thinks this is a good idea, but can we commit future boards?
- Thompson would like to provide an answer and Bob Belair will still be on the board and thinks we should go for it. We just need an inside person at the hosting city to steer the committee.
- Communications/Social Media – Social media is slow right now. The Great Lakes Reporter is going to the committee for review and should be sent out by Christmas. Please send pictures to Taylor of workers in their COVID masks. There are various Public Works groups on Facebook; maybe we should hook up with them.
- Membership, Marketing and Outreach – The following topics were discussed at their committee meeting.
- Goal to increase membership – numbers to be evaluated in January.
- Student Membership Discussion
- Outreach Materials – upcoming email to all members and an upcoming email to board executives.
- Upcoming Outreach events – virtual beer tasting/wine tasting, downstate networking event, Public Works Beer partnership with Earthen Ales (Traverse City)
- Road Scholar – not a lot of activity, waiting for in person seminars.
- Volunteer Coordination - no report since there is not much going on.
- Special Assignment Committee Reports
- Public Works Academy – They are working hard and moving forward with a positive note to expansion. The CDL portion was added but needs to be reignited. They need to look at different options for trucks usage at each college due to COVID concerns.
- Standing Committee Reports
- Continuing Education/Training – Duane and Noah put on a nice Snowplow training session. Noah may need to step down due to other commitments.
- Legislative and Government Affairs - no report.
- Sponsor Relations – 100% of the vendors are anxious to be in person networking, but all know the restrictions are limiting this interaction. Mark suggested that conference sign up be done by year end.
- MPSI Update – no update.
- Young Professionals – no update.
- Water Resources – no report.
- Past Presidents Council - no update.
- New Business: no new business
- Random thoughts: It was reported that Tom Trice was very appreciative and surprised that the Proclamation was done in his honor. It was suggested that we could have Tom speak on the history of APWA and how it has changed, possibly at the banquet for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Adjournment: 10:52 a.m.