January 2020 APWA Michigan Chapter Executive Board Meeting Minutes
Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 9:30 a.m.
Government Consulting Services, Incorporated (“GCSI”)
120 N. Washington, 1sr Floor Conference Room, Lansing, MI 48933
|Voting Member of the||Attendance|
|President Elect Poole||X|
|Chapter Treasurer Rader||X|
|Chapter Delegate Hummel||X|
|Branch Delegate - Central||X|
|Branch Delegate - Detroit Metro||X||Andrew Cousino|
|Branch Delegate - Downriver||X||Jen Lawson|
|Branch Delegate - Mideast||X||Bill Bohlen|
|Branch Delegate - Midwest||X||Bart Franklin|
|Branch Delegate - Northern||X|
|Branch Delegate - Southwest||X||Carl Fedders|
|1st Past President Hart||X|
|2nd Past President Hurt||X|
|Quorum (8 Needed)||9||5|
Also in attendance: Mark Bonkowski-Sponsor Relations, Taylor Porrett-GCSI/Great Lakes Reporter, Doug Skylis-Alternate Delegate, Nancy Kolinski-Conference Chair/Volunteer Coordinator, Tara Paksi-GCSI, Brandy Siedlaczek-Water Resources, Tracy Spencer-Chapter Administrator
- Call to Order by President Thompson at 9:30 a.m. and asked for self-introduction of Members/Guests
- Approve December 9, 2019 Minutes
It was moved by Skylis and seconded by Hummel to approve the December 9, 2019 meeting minutes with the addition of the following members attending the meeting: Doug Skylis, Jen Lawson, Nancy Kolinski, and Brandy Siedlaczek. All were in favor.
- Treasurer’s Report
- President Elect Report
- Administrator’s Report
Spencer reported that Eventbrite registrations have been a success and there have been few if any issues. Spencer will purchase Access for the chapter computer to build up the Michigan member database. A Google calendar has been created and will be available for branch updates once each branch has submitted their Gmail account.
- Council of Chapters Report (Hummel)
It was shared that the Leadership Conference will be February 20th to 22nd in Kansas City. He reminded all to continue sending him the photos and events so he can update the Chapter activity report that he submits. He shared the per diem for the first attending person to the Leadership Conference is $500, but national is working on an increase.
- Branch Reports
- Central – It was shared that Lansing/East Lansing have not responded to participating on the board. It is disappointing that we created a new branch and now there is no participation. A letter to the branch members will be created and mailed imploring for participation and help.
- Detroit Metro- The Joint meeting with Downriver will be on February 13th, and the annual golf outing will be on June 19th. They also reported that they are working on updating their branch by-laws.
- Downriver - The annual equipment show will be on March 19th and vendors are registering via Eventbrite. John Selma is the new Municipal Liaison.
- Mideast – It was reported that the branch is looking to plan a March and April meeting, look for more details. The branch is planning a golf outing, but they are still are working on the details.
- Midwest – They has a recent By-Laws update and will forward it to Tracy. January’s meeting was a Lunch and Learn with MML. The golf outing is July 23rd.
- Southwest – March 11th will be a tour of the Marshall Medical Marijuana Facility. They are planning their golf outing for August 6th.
- Reports (10-15 minutes)
- APWA Michigan Chapter Annual Great Lakes EXPO Conference – The Keynote speaker is Dr. Scott Becker and will talk about how technology is ruining our brains. There will be an EJ Tour with two different times, limited to 50 people per session, and $25 cost. The committee is working on the agenda and have decided on a new exhibitor floorplan. The next meeting will be February 21st.
- Communications/Social Media – Our social media accounts are continuing to grow. The advertising/sponsorship reminders have been sent out. Articles for the Great Lakes Reporter are coming in and have good content.
- Membership, Marketing and Outreach – A Mission Statement and Goals have been created. They have determined that membership numbers overall have increased, but there are opportunities within each branch for growth. Jen and Taylor are working on Branch Executive and New Member Packets.
- Road Scholar – no update.
- Volunteer Coordination – no update
- Special Assignment Committee Reports
- Public Works Academy
January 15th was the starting date of this session. There was discussion on the needs of this program on the eastside. Feb 19th and March 18th meetings will work on Phase 2 development.
- Standing Committee Reports
- Continuing Education/Training – Duane will contact Noah about the SPOT training 2020.
- Legislative and Government Affairs – The Legislative Reception will be on February 26th from 4:30 pm to 6 pm. Remember to reach out to your representatives asking for attendance. The invitations have been sent out.
- Sponsor Relations – no update.
- MPSI – Sessions are in April and September and Karen is planning on doing a membership spiel for MSPI attendees.
- Young Professionals – The last event had approximately 75 people attending and it was a MWEA/AWWA/APWA event. There will be an eastside event on January 29th in Birmingham.
- Water Resources – no report.
- Past Presidents Council – no report
- Snow Conference – There was a January 13th meeting and they are starting to get the sub-committees together. There will be a February 13th meeting. They are also requesting volunteers to man the Snow Conference booth in Cleveland.
- Adjournment: 12:32 pm