March 2019 APWA Michigan Chapter Executive Board Meeting Minutes

March 2019 APWA Michigan Chapter Executive Board Meeting Minutes

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Meeting Minutes

 

Thursday, March 28, 2019 - 9:30 a.m.

Government Consulting Services, Incorporated (“GCSI”)

120 N. Washington, 2nd Floor Conference Room, Lansing, MI 48933

 

  1. Call to Order by Past President Hurt - Introduction of Members/Guests

 

9:01 a.m.

 

  1. Approve February 27, 2019 Minutes

 

It was moved by Skylis and seconded by Hurt to approve the meeting minutes as submitted.  All were in favor.

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report

 

There was discussion on the submitted Treasurer’s Report.  The revenues are high due to registration coming in for the Great Lakes Expo and MPSI, but expenses have not been submitted yet. 

 

  1. President Elect Report

 

Nothing new to update.

 

  1. Administrator’s Report

 

Discussed the Eventbrite registration and how it is a simpler registration process.

 

  1. Council of Chapters Report (Hummel)

 

Thompson reported that Sean O’Dell will be the new Region V Director.  Skylis also reminded the board that in August Larry and Doug will need information to submit during PWX.

 

  1. Branch Reports
    1. Central (Sneathen)

 

No report.

 

  1. Detroit Metro (Tremblay)

 

April 18th meeting, June 28th golf outing at Fieldstone Golf Course.  March award luncheon went well, there were 4 winners.

 

 

  1. Downriver (Belair)

 

Bruce Edwards Tradeshow was on March 21st, with approximately 600 people and 50 vendors.  Scholarship applications went out last week.  Golf outing is planned for June 5th at Lakes of Taylor.  Administrative Assistant meeting coming up.  Boat outing will be on August 9th it will be a joint event with Downriver.

 

 

  1. Mideast (Skylis)

 

Doug is working on an educational meeting for April,

 

  1. Midwest (Scott)

 

Lunch and Learn was on Union Negotiation.  June 18th will be next meeting.  Career Quest is April 24th.  Korhorn golf outing is being planned now, July 17th Cedar Chase.  Snow plow Roadeo October 9th.

 

  1. Northern (Staley)

 

May 3rd tour is being finalized.  Operator training on April 4th, limited to 40 spaces.  Peter is looking for the APWA booth, which Jen Lawson has.

 

  1. Southwest (Glupker)

 

March meeting was cancelled, but it has been rescheduled for April 17th.  They will be putting out a call for first time attendee scholarship submittals.

 

 

  1. Reports (10-15 minutes)
    1. APWA Michigan Chapter Annual Great Lakes EXPO Conference (Mekjian/Rohraff)

 

Mekjian thanked Katers for completing the agenda and getting it posted for the members who were waiting to register.  Mekjian had a discussion with Gloria Strong on how to collect TAMC vendor contributions for the Tuesday Welcome Reception and the Wednesday Lunch.  It was decided that TAMC vendors will send the checks to Linnea.  There was discussion on having a bar outside during the lunches and having the vendors provide the drink tickets since they will be sponsoring the bar. Next, there was discussion on the room block and the April 5th cutoff date.  It was moved by Skylis and seconded by Belair to have the chapter commit financially to reserve the remaining room block at Treetops to ensure our attendees would have housing at the resort.  All were in favor.  Lawson discussed the various options for the bus tour for attendees who do not wish to golf. 

 

 

  1. Communications/Social Media (Paksi)

 

Taylor is working on the first issue of the Great Lakes Reporter.  Advertising is up from last year, due to some new Silver Level Sponsors.  1-year anniversary on Twitter.  Reminder to branches that if you have anything to put on Facebook send it to Taylor.

 

  1. Membership, Marketing and Outreach (Lawson)

 

March’s meeting was a good and Lawson thanked Taylor for getting the Branch Executive Packet and Carl for the New Member Packet information.  They would like to talk about a new website.  At the Welcome Event, it was suggested that it be a hosted event to welcome members to the chapter and branches.  Possibly having bright stickers for members to recognize them, and it would shame non-members.  APWA Public Works week is the same week as the Great Lakes Expo and Ann Arbor is working on a resolution for cites to use to declare that week as APWA Public Works Week.  April 22nd is the next meeting scheduled.

 

  1. Site Selection (Rohraff)

 

No report.

 

  1. Road Scholar (Rader)

 

Reviewed Linnea email, hoping to limit to 40 people and registrations are coming in.

 

  1. Volunteer Coordination (Kolinski)

 

No report.

 

  1. Strategic Planning Meeting Summary (Hurt)

 

Hurt is asking that Committee Chairs to review dates and continue to work with our Strategic Plan.

 

 

  1. Special Assignment Committee Reports (2 minutes)
    1. Public Works Academy

 

Hurt reviewed the submitted document. He also travelled to New York, which was a little smaller than anticipated.  Some good candidates are currently in the Academy.

 

  1. Standing Committee Reports (2 minutes)
    1. Continuing Education/Training (Mehalski)

 

Reviewed Noah’s report submission.  Noah is handling most of the scheduling for the Expo and Training in October.

 

  1. National Awards (Mondora)

 

Hal Hultquist award was discussed, so if you have any person who you would like to nominate it should be submitted by the April meeting.  11 projects awarded with 7 being sent on to National APWA for consideration.

 

  1. Legislative and Government Affairs (Mekjian)

 

Governor is very active, the gas tax was discussed.  Not much discussion on what is happening in the Legislature. 

 

  1. Sponsor Relations (Bonkowski)

 

It looks like half of the indoor space is reserved, and 11 of the 12 outdoor spaces reserved.  Mark will email vendors to make sure they get their space and rooms.

 

  1. MPSI (Rader)

 

See report.

 

  1. Young Professionals (Pike)

 

No report.

 

  1. Water Resources (Siedlaczek)

 

No report.

 

  1. Past Presidents Council

 

He would like to have the Past Presidents come to an Executive Board meeting, but is still working on a date.

 

  1. Snow Conference

 

This will be a heavy lift, so the committee will need to be established.  Hurt reminded the board what should be done next and we will need to have a booth at the 2020 Snow Conference.

 

  1. New Business:  Skylis discussed Detroit and the lack of a large hotel to host PWX.  There is a revival going on in the City of Detroit.

 

  1. Adjournment:

 

11:23 a.m.