May 2019 APWA Michigan Chapter Executive Board Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - 9:00 a.m.
3962 Wilkinson Rd, Gaylord, MI 49735
|Voting Member of the||Attendance|
|President Elect Thompson||X|
|Chapter Treasurer Rader||X|
|Chapter Delegate Hummel||X|
|Branch Delegate - Central||X|
|Branch Delegate - Detroit Metro||X||Scott Gordon|
|Branch Delegate - Downriver||X||Bob Belair|
|Branch Delegate - Mideast||X|
|Branch Delegate - Midwest||X||Jim Wolford|
|Branch Delegate - Northern||X|
|Branch Delegate - Southwest||X||Scott Gordon|
|1st Past President Hurt||X|
|2nd Past President Skylis||X|
|Quorum (8 Needed)||11||3|
Also, in attendance: Don Rohraff – Conference Co-Chair, Gary Mekjian – Conference Co-Chair, Tara Paksi – GLR Editor,
Taylor Hiner – GCSI, Karen Mondora –Awards; Jessica Katers, Noah Mehalski – Education; Brandy Siedlaczek – Water
Resources Chair, Nancy Kolinski – Volunteer Coordination, Tracy Spencer- Chapter Administrator, Ashley Schmuck –
Sponsor Relations Co-Chair, Matt Anderson – Midwest Branch, Rich Berning – Region V Director, Mark Bonkowski –
Sponsor Relations Co-Chair, Karen Mondora – Awards Chair, Jenn Lawson – Outreach/Membership Chair
- Call to Order by President Hart at 9:03 a.m. and he asked for self-introduction of Members/Guests
- Approve April 25, 2019 Minutes
It was moved by Rader and seconded by Belair to approve the April 25, 2019 meeting minutes with the following changes:
- Hart led the meeting, not Hurt.
- The March meeting minutes were approved, not the February.
- The next executive board meeting should have been listed as May 21st, not June 27th.
All were in favor.
- Treasurer’s Report
Reviewed submitted Treasurer’s report along with a draft budget. It was moved by Thompson and seconded
by Skylis to approve the Treasurer’s report. All were in favor. The budget must be approved at the June
27th meeting. Rader discussed the new reporting schedule that came from National APWA. Year end is June
30th, so Rader needs all branch reports by July 15th so she can consolidate the information into one report.
- President Elect Report
- Administrator’s Report
- Council of Chapters Report (Hummel)
Hummel reviewed Rich’s latest newsletter. He reminded everyone that PWX is coming up in Seattle,
- Branch Reports
- Central (Sneathen)
- Detroit Metro (Gordon)
Gordon reported that their June 24th golf outing will be at Fieldstone, flyer was emailed out. There is still
room for more golfers so sign up. There was some discussion of the success of the Downriver Branch golf
- Downriver (Belair)
Belair reported there were 42 people at the May meeting. June 5th will be the golf outing and August 9th is
the Boat Cruise which will be a joint meeting with the Detroit Metro branch. There were 8 applications for
their scholarship program, and they awarded 4 scholarships.
- Mideast (Skylis)
Skylis reported the May meeting was cancelled. The Delta College rep is wanting to get involved with
APWA and there was a suggestion to call Bill Bohlen.
- Midwest (Wolford)
Wolford reported there will be a Lunch and Learn on June 18th for $15. The Career Quest once again had
approximately 10,000 kids come through. July 17th will be the golf outing. He reported the First Responder
Logo was presented at the City Council meeting.
- Northern (Staley)
- Southwest (Glupker)
- Reports (10-15 minutes)
- APWA Michigan Chapter Annual Great Lakes EXPO Conference (Mekjian/Rohraff)
Golf will be at 1 pm. It was suggested that we keep track of all comments, It was noted that the Treetops staff is going out of their way to work with us.
- Communications/Social Media (Paksi)
Taylor is working on the next issue. Please post pictures on all social media sites and remember to tag the
- Membership, Marketing and Outreach (Lawson)
It was reported that the New Member Packets were sent out along with the Branch Executive packets.
Please remember to Hashtag any APWA event/picture. Another YP event needs to be scheduled.
- Site Selection (Rohraff)
June will be a big month for making decisions. Please provide both good and bad feedback.
- Road Scholar (Rader)
Registrations are coming in steadily, with approximately 30 people registered. This year will be October 21st
to the 25th.
- Volunteer Coordination (Kolinski)
The Call for Volunteer email received compliments on the clear needs that were presented. The session
moderators have been set up.
- Strategic Planning Meeting Summary (Hurt)
No report besides keeping it relevant.
- Special Assignment Committee Reports (2 minutes)
- Public Works Academy
The Oakland County Community College meeting was cancelled, but they are stilling trying to work with
Macomb County Community College. One obstacle found was the need for a CDL before hiring graduates.
- Standing Committee Reports (2 minutes)
- Continuing Education/Training (Mehalski)
The fall event will be in November at the Novi Showplace. Both Duane and Noah will pass on information
on doing the SPOT training, but there needs to be someone at each branch to take the lead.
- National Awards (Mondora)
One of the awards submitted to National has been chosen. State awards are ready to go and thank you to
James Hurt for picking them up.
- Michigan Night update (Poole)
Poole reviewed the event for everyone. An invitation to the new Region V director should be sent out. It
was decided the cost of Michigan members and their guests will be $20, everyone else will be $85.
- Legislative and Government Affairs (Mekjian)
The MML June 14th meeting will be an all-day presentation in Lansing. MDOT is talking about Road Issues. The Lead/Copper debates continues.
- Sponsor Relations (Bonkowski)
The trucks are setting up day and he will be looking for feedback from all exhibitors.
- MPSI (Rader)
Rader reported that Spring 2020 is the next open MPSI class.
- Young Professionals (Pike)
- Water Resources (Siedlaczek)
- Past Presidents Council
There was conversation of inviting Past Presidents to this meeting, but time slipped away.
- Snow Conference 2021
The chairs have been identified as: James Hurt, Eric Scott and Bart Franklin. It will be a big lift, so contact James Hurt if you wish to volunteer. This committee is wanting to raise the bar once again. Representatives will need to attend the 2020 Snow Conference in Cleveland.
- New Business:
- There was a meeting with Wayne County with Chuck Hart and John Thompson. We would like to try and get them to host the PWX. It seems we should work with the Directors assistant to get some traction. The gentlemen were cautiously optimistic.
- Doug Skylis suggested that the Past and Past Past President should be the Chair/Co-Chair of the Conference Committee. He reasoned that it would keep these people active and there would be a continuous feedback process. John Thompson suggests that the Vice President and President Elect might be better candidates, but he does not like designating a specific position. Gary feels that Tara and Taylor would be great for this. More discussion to follow.
- Adjournment: 11:08 am