July 2019 APWA Michigan Chapter Executive Board Meeting Minutes

July 2019 APWA Michigan Chapter Executive Board Meeting Minutes

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Meeting Minutes

Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 9:30 a.m.

Government Consulting Services, Incorporated (“GCSI”)

120 N. Washington, 2nd Floor Conference Room, Lansing, MI 48933

Voting Member of the        Attendance
Executive Committee Yes No
President Thompson X    
President Elect Poole X    
Vice-President Belair X    
Chapter Treasurer Rader X    
Chapter Delegate Hummel   X  
Branch Delegate - Central   X        
Branch Delegate - Detroit Metro   X        
Branch Delegate - Downriver   X        
Branch Delegate - Mideast X   Doug Skylis      
Branch Delegate - Midwest X   Jim Wolford      
Branch Delegate - Northern X   Pete Staley      
Branch Delegate - Southwest X   Amy Gilson      
1st Past President Hart X    
2nd Past President Hurt X    
       
Quorum (8 Needed) 10 4  

Also in attendance:  Jerry Bartoszek, Matt Anderson, John Gorney, Tracy Spencer, Tara Paksi, Taylor Hiner, Ashley Schmuck, Karen Mondora, Mark Bonkowski, Gary Mekjian, Eric Witte, Greg Zanotti, Tom Matson,

Nelson Wesenberg

  1. Call to Order by President Thompson - Introduction of Members/Guests

Meeting was called to order at 9:47 am, and President Thompson asked for self-introductions.

  1. Approve June 27, 2019 Minutes

It was moved by Skylis and seconded by Thompson to approve the June 27, 2019 meeting minutes.  All were in favor.

  1. Treasurer’s Report

Rader reported that National APWA has reinstated the Audit process, so we need to schedule time to perform the Audit.  She is currently working on the Year End reports.

  1. President Elect Report

President Elect Poole discussed the final plans for the Michigan Night during PWX.

  1. Administrator’s Report

Administrator Spencer reported that the chapter computer rolling bag broke and a replacement bag was purchased at a deep discount.  If the board was not interested in paying for the bag, Spencer would keep it for personal use.  The board authorized the reimbursement of $67.56.  Spencer reported that there were 19 people registered for Michigan Night in Seattle.

  1. Council of Chapters Report (Skylis)

Skylis reports that he is working on the report yearly report that gets to submitted to National APWA during the Council of Chapters meeting.

  1. Branch Reports
    1. Central (Sneathen) no report, but struggling to get officers.

  1. Detroit Metro (Tremblay) no report

  1. Downriver (Belair) August 9th will be the joint boat outing with the Detroit Metro branch.  Mary Jo Vannatter stepped down from her position and Don Rohraff has taken over for her.

  1. Mideast (Skylis) It was reported that they have a location and support for an upcoming meeting, but they need members to attend.

  1. Midwest (Wolford) The branch had some reconstruction due to Eric Scott’s passing, so Jim Wolford took over as President.  It was reported that there were 90-93 golfers at the outing.  August 20th will be the next Lunch and Learn, and the Christmas get-together will be December 11th. 

  1. Northern (Staley) Registration for the Equipment/Trade Show have been mailed and posted on the chapter website.  It was reported that the Vice President is from the City of Cadillac so they are seeing more activity from the city.

  1. Southwest (Gilson) It was reported that the golf outing will be at the Medalist, and there is an October meeting in Lawrence, MI with a MML update.

  1. Reports (10-15 minutes)
    1. APWA Michigan Chapter Annual Great Lakes EXPO Conference (Hart/Hurt)

Chuck Hart will work with Jessica Katers in August to start the conference planning for 2020.  There was discussion on the 2019 session layout and working with TAMC.  There was discussion on changing the conference to a different week.  Finally, it was suggested that Call for Presentations gets pushed out in the Fall. 

  1. Communications/Social Media (Hiner)

They are currently working on the 2nd issue of the Great Lakes Reporter, and if there are any submission the branch or committees wish to make there is still time.  There was a suggestion of putting out a call for volunteers in the next issue.

  1. Membership, Marketing and Outreach  

It was suggested that the branches be responsible for their own page/tab on the website.

  1. Site Selection (Rohraff)

There was discussion on the timing of the year, whether we want equipment inside and outside, and if there was a possibility of moving the conference south.  If the conference is earlier in the year outside activities will be limited and if it were during the winter season DPW personnel need to be back snow plowing.  During slow times of the year networking would be maximized and rates would be better.  June/July/August the rates go up, construction season starts and vacations are planned.  There was discussion on possibly moving the conference up one week or starting on the weekends.  The questions asked were:  What is the value we want to offer?  And What is the goal of the conference?

  1. Road Scholar (Rader)

It was reported that registrations are coming in and all should recommend getting your people there.

  1. Volunteer Coordination (Kolinski)

No report.

  1. Strategic Planning Meeting Summary (Hurt)

Reviewed the Strategic Planning goals and there are a few items we are doing, but need to re-evaluate others.  There was discussion about doing another fall session.

  1. Special Assignment Committee Reports (2 minutes)
    1. Public Works Academy

Three classes have graduated so far.  There will be a PWX presentation on our Public Works Academy.  They are looking to add CDL and Equipment components to the program.  John Gorney will be teaching some High School classes for Public Works awareness.

  1. Standing Committee Reports (2 minutes)
    1. Continuing Education/Training (Mehalski)

There was discussion on how all of the education we offer operate as separate entities.  Thompson would like to see more flow of information with possibly having a steering committee to streamline the education tract.

  1. Awards (Mondora)

There was one National award winner from Michigan.  Hurt encourages everyone attending PWX to attend the awards ceremony.

  1. Legislative and Government Affairs (Mekjian)

There were a bunch of bills introduced at the June meeting.  There were discussions on the gas tax, graduated income tax, utility & flooding bills.

  1. Sponsor Relations (Bonkowski)

Bonkowski reports that networking during the annual conference is important to the vendors and he is working on getting the kinks out for next year. 

  1. MPSI (Rader)

All good with MPSI, classes continue to sell out.

  1. Young Professionals (Pike)

There has been no activity lately – need to energize.  Let Chuck Hart know of any member interested in being on the committee, planning events, etc.  The last few events have been social or networking.

  1. Water Resources (Siedlaczek)

No report.

  1. Past Presidents Council

No report.

  1. Snow Conference

James Hurt and Jim Wolford are Co-Chairs and are putting together the committee.  National APWA people will be coming in November for a planning session.  Experience Grand Rapids want to step up and provide more.  Since Michigan had the Snow Conference in recent years, some of the committee know how big of a lift this will be. 

  1. New Business: 

No new business.

  1. Adjournment:  12:01 pm