September 2019 APWA Michigan Chapter Executive Board Meeting Minutes

September 2019 APWA Michigan Chapter Executive Board Meeting Minutes

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Meeting Minutes

 

Thursday, September 19, 2019 - 9:30 a.m.

Government Consulting Services, Incorporated (“GCSI”)

120 N. Washington, 1st Floor Conference Room, Lansing, MI 48933

 

 

Voting Member of the        Attendance
Executive Committee Yes No
President Thompson X    
President Elect Poole X    
Vice-President Belair X    
Chapter Treasurer Rader X    
Chapter Delegate Hummel X    
Branch Delegate - Central   X        
Branch Delegate - Detroit Metro X   Gerry Trembley      
Branch Delegate - Downriver   X        
Branch Delegate - Mideast X   Doug Skylis      
Branch Delegate - Midwest   X        
Branch Delegate - Northern   X        
Branch Delegate - Southwest X   Kevin Glupker      
1st Past President Hart X    
2nd Past President Hurt X    
       
Quorum (8 Needed) 10 4  

 

Also, in attendance:   Tracy Spencer – Administrator, Taylor Hiner – GCSI, Tara Paksi – GCSI, Noah Mehalski - Education, Mark Bonkowski – Sponsor Relations

 

  1. Call to Order by President Thompson at 9:45 a.m. and asked for self-introduction of Members/Guests

 

  1. Approve July 25, 2019 Minutes

 

It was moved by Skylis and seconded by Hummel to approve the July 25, 2019 meeting minutes.  All were in favor.

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report

 

No report, but Duane is the chair for the Audit committee and suggested that the checks written recap be included during the audit.

 

 

 

  1. President Elect Report

 

Poole reported that Michigan Night cruise in Seattle was very nice and all registration information was saved by Eventbrite.

 

  1. Administrator’s Report

 

There was discussion on having a Chapter calendar so all branches can access and update as necessary.

Spencer discussed the new chapter website that National APWA is working on, and the possibility of branches having their own website.  Spencer recapped the discussion with Ron Brundidge of the City of Detroit hosting PWX.  The city would need to be more involved in the chapter/branches.

 

  1. Council of Chapters Report

 

Hummel reminded all that we need to keep Sean O’Dell up-to-date with any of our issues and concerns.  2021 will be the next February Leadership meeting.  He reported that National APWA would like to become the Political and Advocacy voice in Washington.  One of the goals is to update and close issues within a specific time frame.  Awareness is a new group created at the National level.

 

  1. Branch Reports
    1. Central - No report

 

  1. Detroit Metro - Pretty quiet right now.  October 17th will be the next meeting and December 12th is the Christmas party.

 

  1. Downriver - The August joint boat tour has approximately 80 people.  October 1st will be the next board meeting and October 3rd will be the next general membership meeting.  December 5th is the Christmas gathering.

 

  1. Mideast - There will be a meeting at Delta College on October 8th.

 

  1. Midwest - The September 17th Lunch & Learn was good.  The Snowplow Roadeo will be on October 9th.  December 11th is the Christmas gathering – details to follow.

 

  1. Northern - No report.

 

  1. Southwest - There were 20 teams at the golfing outing at the Medalist.  October 15th will be the MML update and December 4th will be the Christmas and Awards luncheon.

 

  1. Reports (10-15 minutes)

 

  1. APWA Michigan Chapter Annual Great Lakes EXPO Conference (Hurt/Hart) –

 

Hart would like to have smaller group meetings and he met with Katers to get an overview on chairing this conference.  Call for Presentations should go out this month.  There was discussion on a possible EJ tour and one option of having a Hostage Negotiator as the Keynote speaker.

 

  1. Communications/Social Media (Paksi)

 

2nd issue of the Great Lakes Reporter is out with lots of content.  Next issue will have a vendor highlight.  Lew Bender has offered to provide more content is desired.

 

 

 

  1. Membership, Marketing and Outreach

 

No report, but there was discussion on challenging the Membership committee to increase our numbers.

 

  1. Site Selection  

 

The selection committee has taken all the information and would like to have more long tern plans.   Members have indicated they like to keep the conference up north and want to keep the large equipment displayed. They are recommending the following schedule for the annual GLX  2021 – Grand Traverse, 2022 – Boyne Mountain, 2023 – Grand Traverse, 2024 – Boyne Mountain.  It was moved by Hart and seconded by Skylis to start the negotiations of contracts based on the recommended rotating schedule with the ability to negotiate the week prior to Memorial Day.  All were in favor.

 

  1. Road Scholar  

 

It was reported that there currently are only 4-6 openings left.  Rader will get a new email sent out for registrations.

 

  1. Volunteer Coordination  

 

No report.

 

  1. Strategic Planning Meeting Summary

 

Deferring to the October meeting.

 

 

  1. Special Assignment Committee Reports  
    1. Public Works Academy

 

Several people met with Oakland Community College, and it was suggested they will approach the Chancellor to talk with the board to get on the class schedule.  Julie from Grand Rapids Community College came to the meeting and discussed the Academy.  It was recommended that member communities need to help with training and job placement.  There will be a meeting on October 8th at Delta College.

 

  1. Standing Committee Reports
    1. Continuing Education/Training   

 

Noah is currently getting ready for the fall seminar; registrations are coming in and the speakers are all lined up.  The Northern Equipment show went well, there were a lot of vendors and drivers, and went pretty well.

 

  1. Legislative and Government Affairs 

 

It was reported that a budget needs to passed and more money is needed.  September 18th the Vape rule went into effect.  It was reported that the GLWA suit was thrown out.

 

  1. Sponsor Relations  

 

It was discussed that a separate social event besides golf should be available during the annual conference.  It was suggested there be a EJ tour, but it should not compete with the golf outing.

 

 

 

  1. MPSI

 

MPSI is next week, and is full.  They are looking forward to a great week.

 

  1. Young Professionals

 

Andrea is having a hard time committing time to this committee.  It was suggested that Matt Anderson take over chairing is committee.

 

  1. Water Resources  

 

No report.

 

  1. Past Presidents Council

 

The last meeting was good.  James Hurt will set the schedule, and would like to work with the board.

 

  1. Snow Conference

 

Hurt and Franklin are Co-Chairs and are starting to get the committee set-up.  Hurt would like to get a sign-up sheet for volunteers to man the 2020 Snow Conference booth and Experience GR will be there helping.  National APWA would like to schedule a meeting in November to come out and it was recommended that the first half of November would be better.

 

  1. New Business:  No new business.

 

  1. Adjournment:  11:50 a.m.