December 2019 APWA Michigan Chapter Executive Board Meeting Minutes

December 2019 APWA Michigan Chapter Executive Board Meeting Minutes

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Meeting Minutes

 

Monday, December 9, 2019 at 11:00 am

 Grand Rapids City Hall, 300 Monroe NW, 8th Floor, Room 811

 

Voting Member of the        Attendance
Executive Committee Yes No
President Thompson X    
President Elect Poole   X  
Vice-President Belair X    
Chapter Treasurer Rader X    
Chapter Delegate Hummel X    
Branch Delegate - Central   X        
Branch Delegate - Detroit Metro X   JEN LAWSON      
Branch Delegate - Downriver X          
Branch Delegate - Mideast X   BILL BOHLEN      
Branch Delegate - Midwest X   JIM WOLFORD      
Branch Delegate - Northern            
Branch Delegate - Southwest X   AMY GILSON      
1st Past President Hart   X  
2nd Past President Hurt X    
       
Quorum (8 Needed) 9 4  

Also in attendance:  Tracy Spencer – Administrator, Taylor Porrett – GCSI, Gary Mekjian – Gov’t Affairs,

Noah Mehalski – Education, Doug Skylis – Alternate Delegate, Dan Sorek – Midwest, Bart Franklin – Midwest

 

  1. Call to Order by President Thompson - Introduction of Members/Guests

 

11:00 pm

 

  1. Approve October 24, 2019 Minutes

 

It was moved by Skylis and seconded by Hummel to approve the October 24, 2019 meeting minutes and Strategic Planning meeting minutes, with the correction of spelling of “constitutes” to constituents.  All were in favor.

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report

 

Rader reported that the branches need to submit any 1099 information by the 1st week of January.  She reminded branches that W-9 information is needed for any services provided of $600 or more.  Currently, there are more expenses then income but typically there is a flip in March when registrations start coming in. 

 

 

 

  1. President Elect Report

 

No report.

 

  1. Administrator’s Report

 

Discussed the website and the upcoming updates.  Eventbrite was discussed and how to utilize it more, with Chapter Sponsorship being posted.

 

  1. Council of Chapters Report (Hummel)

 

The Council of Chapters will have a meeting February 20th and 21st.  Hummel asked to board for input and pictures to complete the REPORT OF ACTITIVITIES, BEST PRACTICES, AND AREA OF FOCUS for the upcoming 2020 Winter Council of Chapter Meeting.  The stipend for attending this meeting was discussed.

 

 

  1. Branch Reports
    1. Central (Sneathen)

 

No report.

 

  1. Detroit Metro (Tremblay)

 

The Christmas luncheon will be on December 12th at Palazzo Di Bocce.  June 19th will be the golf outing, location to be determined.

 

  1. Downriver (Belair)

 

  • The Annual Downriver Branch Executive Board meeting – December 3.  General business and preparation for annual Christmas luncheon
  • Downriver Branch Annual Christmas Luncheon and Awards ceremony was held on December 5.  163 attendees were present (new record).  Attendees brought over 100 gifts that were given to Toys for Tots, and over $1,000 was raised and split between two charities.  Eventbrite was utilized for RSVP and payment.  This worked very well for us.  

 

 

  1. Mideast (Bohlen)

 

At the November 18th meeting the Public Works Academy was discussed.  The Christmas luncheon will be in Frankenmuth on December 10th and there are 86 people registered.  The next meeting will be on January 8th.

 

  1. Midwest (Wolford)

 

December 11th will be the Christmas cocktail hour at One Bourbon and they will be collecting donations to Kid’s Food Basket.  January 21st will be a Lunch and Learn in the Kentwood Library.  The branch has edited their By-Laws and they will be submitted for approval.

 

  1. Northern (Staley)

 

The new officers have been elected for the next term and they will have a meeting in January to set their calendar for 2020.

 

 

 

  1. Southwest (Glupker)

 

The Awards Banquet was on December 6th with approximately 42 people in attendance.  They also completed the branch board elections.

 

 

  1. Reports
    1. APWA Michigan Chapter Annual Great Lakes EXPO Conference

 

TMAC will not be co-located with our conference for 2020.  The committee is in discussion on ways to excite the banquet/awards program.  Invitations to the Regional Director and National APWA representatives have been sent out.  They will try forming sub committees to complete various tasks.

 

  1. Communications/Social Media  

 

Porrett reported that the Facebook and Twitter accounts are doing good, but not the Instagram account.  2020 Sponsorship and Advertising contracts were sent out and the 3rd issue of the Great Lakes Reporter will be sent out next week.  Porrett is working on 2020 content and start to include membership names.

 

  1. Membership, Marketing and Outreach  

 

Lawson reports an article was written on Outreach and Social Media.  January 17th will be the next lunch meeting and they will be drafting a Mission Statement and membership goals.  They are considering a by-monthly membership email.

 

  1. Site Selection  

 

Site selection has been completed up to May 2024.

 

  1. Road Scholar

 

Wolford reports there was positive feedback from the first-year attendees, and there were 39 people registered for this first year.  One suggestion was having more help next year and that a few classes while dull were necessary for learning.

 

  1. Volunteer Coordination  

 

No report.

 

  1. Strategic Planning Meeting Summary

 

No report.

 

  1. Special Assignment Committee Reports (2 minutes)
    1. Public Works Academy

 

James Hurt joined the Mideast meeting and Delta College is running with the idea of starting a Public Works Academy on the east side of Michigan, but there has not been any response from Oakland Community College.  It was reported that an $80,000 grant was received for the new CDL portion of the Academy.  Another interesting item, John Gorney providing Public Works knowledge at a High School after school program.

 

 

  1. Standing Committee Reports
    1. Continuing Education/Training  

 

There were 30 teams at the SPOT training at the Novi Showplace.  Noah is working to get the 2021 SPOT training date set and he is working on getting speakers for the 2021 GLX.

 

 

  1. Legislative and Government Affairs 

 

Look for an email from Gary Mekjian with an update.

 

  1. Sponsor Relations

 

No report.

 

  1. MPSI

 

No report.

 

  1. Young Professionals

 

A combined AWWA/MWEA/APWA YP event is being planned for the eastside of Michigan.  Details to follow.

 

  1. Water Resources

 

No report.

 

  1. Past Presidents Council

 

No report.

 

  1. Snow Conference

 

The National representatives are coming after this meeting so discussion was deferred until then.

 

 

  1. New Business:  No new business.

 

  1. Adjournment:  Meeting was adjourned at 1:08 p.m.